Friday, July 20, 2012

Prayers Along The Ganges

In my travel guide book, Rishikesh may not be one of the highlights of India. But in reality, it has touched me so much that I feel like getting back to stay longer someday.

Walking across the two bridges (Lakshman Jhula and Ram Jhula) to visit the temple. Meandering through the streets full of religious visitors staying in ashrams, shops selling books and kamasutra cds, vegetarian restaurants. Watching the locals washing and cupping their hands for prayers in the Ganges, absorbing the Hinduism spirit. Curiously looking for a place to practice Yoga, this city is the capital of it!

Photobucket
I took this picture when I was doing rafting in the Ganges. That big building is one of the ashrams in Rishikesh (there are tons of ashrams in Rishikesh), and that bridge is called Lakshman Jhula.

Photobucket
Staying in a kind of campsite (a modern one ;p), included in a rafting package.

Photobucket
L-R: Paroma Soni - Twisha Asher - Nepali rafting guide - Ernielly Leo - Me

One reason why I really love this place is that because it has the Ganges and its great rapids. River-rafting used lots of energy, but I honestly has enjoyed the entire trip! This Nepali guy was also very cute, showing us how to row, how to jump, how to do stuff he's good at.

We also got a chance to swim in a small part of the river (a safer area), which I found pretty amazing. Stayed there for approximately an hour, had a good chat while the wind was getting stronger as the day  was getting darker. Drank the water, which we found a bit wrong after one of us witnessed a person washing his hair with shampoo. 

Photobucket
Me and Paroma Soni, chilling out after going through some rapids

All my life I had never imagined myself enjoying spiritual atmosphere so much. I had never really enjoyed religious activities before. And for me, looking for real peace in a particular place used to sound like a shit.

But then I saw Rishikesh for only two days and right now, typing this, I'm craving for a lot more of it.

Why should I get back?
I should someday stay in an ashram for a week or more, go to a yoga class, and feel the great sense of being there.

P.S: If you don't know how an ashram looks like, you'll find it in the movie "Eat Pray Love". It is where Julia Roberts stays in India.

1 comment: