Tuesday, July 17, 2012

A Developing Society in a Developed Capital

Delhi reminded me a lot of Jakarta, my hometown.

To be honest, Delhi is actually much more developed than Jakarta (considering the quality of the subways, the provided public buses, and even the auto-rickshaws with meters), but it more or less still looks similar as my city.

Photobucket
It's quite surprising to know that Delhi is a men-dominated society. I'd bet you'll find everyone selling stuff in a kiosk (or a food stall in the market, or whatever) here is a man. Most of the workers I saw in the train station  were also males. To me, it's quite strange, comparing to how women play considerably big roles in Jakarta.
Well, you might be wondering why this paragraph contradicts the picture above. Of course it does, the picture above is actually a ladies-compartment in one of the metro-trains.

The reason why I think Delhi is a must-visit place in India is actually the incredible gap between Old Delhi and New Delhi, which I think everyone should witness. 

When I was there, I stayed in my friend's friend's house in a very decent area in New Delhi. As a foreigner, I surely had wanted to see the entire city, including going through that sense of flying to the past in Old Delhi. So we took the metro to reach there, tried some authentic Indian cuisine, bought some cheap Indian shoes, saw almost everything, and finally came home with dirty clothes, dust all over it. Stuck with that thought: New Delhi has recently-built buildings, fancy shops and cafes, while Old Delhi has old buildings in narrow streets, cheap market, tons of traditional food, and unorganized traffic. Such a difference.

Photobucket
Me and Paroma, siting on a rickshaw in Old Delhi

Photobucket
A rickshaw driver in Old Delhi.

I should note that rickshaws are the ones with the paddles, and auto-rickshaws are.. well, built with engines and all that.

Photobucket
And this one is my favorite picture! That great mosque in the middle is Jama Masjid. Its surroundings are stalls selling clothes, food, sweets, and everything.

Photobucket
I was walking around the city with one of my best friends, Ernielly (she goes to UWC in Pune). And there she is, with a traditional drink called "Lassi", which tastes like yogurt. Heaven on a hot summer day.

Photobucket
Eestha and Paroma (they are Ernielly's friends from UWC)

I think every foreigner in India has to try Parantha. Everyone has to know how it tastes like, how it goes down through your throat, and how it treats your stomach so well. This thin bread is stuffed with something we can choose from the menu (I've tried lemon, paneer, and some other things I unfortunately cannot remember), and it is served with various types of homemade sauces.

Delhi may not really suit me, but yes.. as I've told you before, everyone gotta see it. See it, literally.

Wait for my next posts for Rishikesh and Dharamsala ;-)
P. S: See more pictures on my Facebook profile

No comments:

Post a Comment